Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Another Idea for Tesla Handicapped Access (NOTE Referral Code wes21573)

It is so obvious, yet this problem only surfaced when this old veteran finally got into a Tesla Model 3...and I tried to get out! If this article is useful when you consider buying a Tesla, please use my referral https://www.tesla.com/referral/wes21573 so we can each get a free Tesla 1000 mile SuperCharger credit.

Yes, even on a good day it is hard for me to make a transfer from my wheelchair to the Tesla driver or passenger front seat, and even harder to get out. The car's low suspension combines with the fairly narrow entrance to give me some degree of discomfort.
So what's a good solution? Well, other cars almost always have an assist handle on the inside top of the door frame. above each seat. Makes sense for anyone, especially handicapped, to be able to steady oneself with the handle while scooting the bottm and legs outside and onto the wheelchair.
The only two possibilities that come to my mind for why Tesla didn't but a handle here are (1) part of the design effort to minimize everything in the cabin and/or (2) perhaps there would be a conflict with an airbag behind the plastic.
I intend to check this out, because the hack would be immediately useful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

TDIU = actual VA disability rating

A previous director of the Colorado Division of Military and Veterans Affairs once pointed out to me that one reason Colorado denies TDIU ve...