Thursday, February 6, 2020

My Tesla Model 3: Improvement Ideas for Handicapped Use

I'm 100% VA disabled and retired military, and love my Tesla but it isn't perfect even with free SuperCharger miles that folks might refer to me. If my Tesla was manufactured to be perfect for my needs the car would never make it to the street because it clearly must be an automobile, not a wheelchair van.

But there are small and large changes that Tesla can make to help the folks I'm familiar with...spinal cord injuries, hip problems, peripheral neuropathy and more.

Please order using my referral  https://ts.la/wes21573 so we'll both get 1000 miles" blog (hey..I'm shameless here) I hope some big-wig at Tesla will come up with solutions. I'm not holding my breath...they haven't returned my calls since I started reaching out last summer.Okay...here's the first of the Tesla solutions I've come up with and it affects
EVERY wheelchair traveler as well as others who need heavy stuff in the trunk. On my last car I had to pay $530 to have the rear bumper repainted after three years of scratches and gouges getting my folding power wheelchair in and out.
My fault entirely. I started using the car and it only took a couple times before scratches were all over the place....but I did nothing.

This time, with my (ridiculous $2,000 extra) red paint investment, the very first thing I did was solve that rear bumper problem. Easy...with a $9.89 32"x36" thin doormat bolted to the floor of the trunk with enough length left to fold out and over the bumper before any wheelchair in/out tasks. Perfect protection without much of an effort but success: my red paint left intact.
First Step: attach the mat to the trunk
floor so it is secure and won't slide around in use. About 18" should do.
In my case, I then put my heavy duty trunk mat back over the mat, and that keeps it in place nicely. Nothing catches on it going out or in.
And as you can see, the final step is to get a folding wheelchair, and you'll find most manual chairs will fit just fine. I was fortunate in that I already had a folding power chair for outdoor use to supplement my Jazzy. I discovered the Eagle HD and fell in love with its versatility. I can lift it myself in a pinch but always find a helpful passerby if my wife isn't with me. My only concern is that it has no leg support and can't recline, but it sure helps me travel by train, plane and automobile. The cost delivered was under $3000 and it has lasted three years so far...remarkable for the way I've treated it!
I should have realized that my genius idea wasn't unique to me, and it didn't take too long to find out there are fine commercial rear trunk bumper protectors. This will be my next purchase when mine needs replacement...cost $60.

https://ts.la/wes21573


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

TDIU = actual VA disability rating

A previous director of the Colorado Division of Military and Veterans Affairs once pointed out to me that one reason Colorado denies TDIU ve...