Friday, February 28, 2020

What is a Tesla Supercharger? Why should I care?

The Tesla Supercharger is a high-voltage, high-speed Tesla car charging unit, similar to a gas pump. Tesla has 21,000 of them with more being installed every day, and they can be located using most third-party apps as well as any Tesla car's screen.
• Advantage: high speed, less time charging, and for some, free energy.
• Disadvantage: not as common as gas stations, takes a bit longer to fill up than does a car using a gas pump. Generally speaking, users must pay on a kWh basis, costing more than it would to charge on a home Tesla charger

Why should you care? If you're considering a Tesla or already have one, that is an obvious answer...you can use a Supercharger to get your car charged and quickly off on your way.

My take: I have a Tesla home charger and can top off my Model 3 from full empty to full in about five and a half hours. I seldom am actually empty and my typical charge is under 100 miles, or just over two hours.

I rely on Superchargers while on trips, except when I can plan on our hotel having a Level 2 charger. Tesla gave me 1000 free Supercharger miles because I used my neighbor's owner referral code. I'm still using those miles up and hope people will start using my referral code for their purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

TDIU = actual VA disability rating

A previous director of the Colorado Division of Military and Veterans Affairs once pointed out to me that one reason Colorado denies TDIU ve...